Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Don Juan's Farm

We visited a farm for two nights and the owner's name was Don Juan. At one point we got to take a tour of the farm. Our guide, Roberto, had to speak translate for us because Don spoke very little English. On the tour, Don showed us many plants including a coco bean tree, which doesn't look anything like chocolate by the way. He even tricked us into having terrible tasting plants. Twice! One was extremely spicy, called amanato. The second thing that he fed us smelled like crap. However, we got to eat some things that didn't taste too bad. Spinich, which didn't tase anything like the way my mom cooks it, thank god. We also got to eat the coco bean. The third thing we got to taste was sugar cane. The juice tasted like canalope juice with sugar. The inside of the skin didn't taste like anything but Roberto said it was good for cleaning teeth. The inside seed tasted like a blast of sugar that you couldn't bite down on because it was too slipery. The inside of hat seed tasted a tiny bit like chocolate but not that much. Some of the things that we got to do on the farm were fertilize some plants and feed some cows. Don had three cows. Two of them actually being alive with one of the cows pregnant. Some of the food was like nothing I had ever tasted before. The rice that wa served there had such a different taste than rice I would eat at home, it was much better. We also had chicken with an O.K. sauce on it. My fvorite dish however, was pasta alfredo with ham and coen. I had four servings. After two days we had to go, to my sadness. It was probably one of the nicest places that we stayed at on this trip so far.

9 comments:

  1. Brian: This experience sounds so amazing. I'm so glad you tried everything. I read everyone else's comments too. What a blast. I can't wait to hear about everything!!! Miss you so much. Love you!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian,

    What an adventure! The fact that you tried many different foods is very impressive. You tend to be very picky at home! Does this mean you will be open to all of the nutrituous meals Mom likes to serve? Hope so. Love, Auntie Lisa and Uncle Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian,
    I'm glad that you enjoyed all the local foods. I'm so proud that you tried everyting. Did you ask for the pasta or was that just what they served?
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is your last day. Make it a memorable one!! Can't wait to see you. Love you!
    Mom, Julie & Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian,
    Please send me an email when you get home with all the details of your trip.
    Love
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian,

    Please make the very best of your last day! It is not often that you get a chance to visit Costa Rica. I am looking forward to hearing whether you think Uncle Gerry and I should visit someday. You know what a "nature fanatic" he can be! Love, you. . . Auntie Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brian,
    I hope you have had fun so far with your class. Can't wait to see you,
    Julie
    ps: Bahamas are amazing lots of history

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Brian i miss you lots and lots cant wait to see you.
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian,
    Hope that you can send me some pictures. Enjoy the flight back. I'm on my way from Tokyo to Taiwan this weekend then to Korea. I'll see you late Wed night.
    Love
    Dave

    ReplyDelete