Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shopping & Packing

Well, I went out and bought a suitcase today, so I guess I am going to Costa Rica! I then headed over to REI where I bought 6 packs of Gatorade to add to my water, a small, chamois-like towel, sunscreen, bug spray, Nikwax - a waterproofing spray used to rejuvenate my GoreTex shell, and a vest. I wanted something light to wear that had lots of pockets and space to put stuff so I wouldn't always have to be swinging my backpack off and on. I can use this vest for birding and fishin' when I get home.
Then I stopped off at CVS where I picked up some toiletries, Imodium, and Pepto Chewables.
I then laid out all of my "stuff" and my clothing and I think I am in really good shape! I have 7 light-weight, quick drying shirts, both tee and button up style. I have 3 pairs of long pants that are quick drying, 2 of which can be unzipped to make shorts. I also have one pair of decent looking pants to wear on the plane. I have 3 pairs of shorts, 2 that are quick drying and can serve as bathing suits. Socks (3 white, "quick-dry", and 4 white cotton), underwear, a belt, and 3 pairs of shoes - 1 of which is a water shoe. All of the shoes are old, broken in, comfortable, and I don't care if they get wet and muddy. I also have a PolarTec pullover, a windbreaker, my GoreTex rain shell, a Mr. Musselman style hat, an umbrella, a Red Sox hat, binoculars, Costa Rica bird book, a Costa Rican bird list, a whistle with a compass, my Leatherman tool, a small flashlight, my digital camera, and a Croakie for my glasses in case I fall in rafting or am upside down on a zipline!
I'll review the packing list WorldStrides gave us on Monday and then see what else I'll need to get. One week from now we'll be in the air and on our way!
Mr. Williams

1 comment:

  1. Nice review, Mr. Williams. Just make sure you pack that Leatherman in your checked baggage. I've lost a couple of nice Leatherman tools at airport security and regret it to this day. I can't believe we'll be in the air and on our way this time next week!

    ReplyDelete